Many sisters join Tri Sigma during their college years, but did you know that’s not the only opportunity to become a Tri Sigma sister?
The Alumnae Initiate program invites women of character to join our national sisterhood, and join those who believe in the mission and values of Sigma Sigma Sigma. The invitation extends well beyond the traditional environment of the college campus and offers the opportunity for membership to women of various ages and situations. The friendship, sisterhood, and support of Sigma Sigma Sigma is truly a lifetime experience, no matter when you join the bonds of sisterhood. A member who is initiated as an alumna has all of the same rights, responsibilities and privileges as a member who is initiated as a collegian.
Potential alumnae initiates include:
- Campus administrators, faculty and staff members
- Friends and relatives of Tri Sigma members
- Personal mentors
- Community leaders, volunteers and noteworthy citizens
- Former collegians who were pledged into a Tri Sigma collegiate chapter, but were not initiated
- Women interested in a social, service and/or mentorship experience
- Women who have given their time and talents to a Tri Sigma collegiate or alumnae chapter
Advantages of becoming a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma:
networking • Interaction and support from a national network of women. social engagement • The enjoyment and support of the Tri Sigma sisterhood.
Alumnae chapter membership • Social engagement and service learning opportunities through membership in an alumnae chapter.
mentorship • An opportunity to serve as a mentor to collegiate women through a Chapter Advisory Board or Housing Corporation.
national volunteer • An opportunity to utilize your time and talents as a national volunteer through ongoing committee work, special projects and/or advisory roles.
professional development • Leadership and skill development opportunities at National Convention, Regional Conferences, the CAB and Volunteer Summit and other alumnae resources and programs.
the triangle magazine • Subscription to the Sorority’s magazine, when annual dues are paid.
sigma connect • Lifetime access to the members-only social networking site and resource database.
service and philanthropy • An opportunity to participate in service learning projects in the local community and to support Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation projects.
scholarships/grants • An opportunity to receive scholarships for continued education and grants for local hospitals in your community.
civic involvement • An opportunity to participate in congressional lobbying in Washington, DC.
national panhellenic conference • Recognized membership in a National Panhellenic Conference Sorority and an opportunity to serve on the local Alumnae Panhellenic.
endless possibilities • As the Sorority moves “ever forward,” the opportunities available as a Tri Sigma member grow greater each year.
Qualifications for Alumnae Initiation
Candidate must have an interest in Sigma Sigma Sigma and recognize the value of membership.
• Candidate may not be a member of another National Panhellenic Conference sorority (but may be a member of a local, honorary or service sorority).
• Candidate must have endorsement from two members of Tri Sigma (collegian, alumna, advisor, national officer, etc).
• Candidate must have agreement by collegiate chapter or alumnae chapter that will initiate the candidate.
• Candidate must be ineligible for collegiate membership.
• Candidate must be able to contribute her own special talents. Her interests may lie in the social aspects of alumnae chapter activities or in their philanthropic projects. She may be an ideal CAB or Housing Corporation member for a collegiate chapter or colony.
• Candidate will make time for Sigma (after personal and professional obligations).
Prior to initiation, candidates pay a $60 non-refundable initiation fee. The fee includes:
1) Essential Sigma, our member education manual
2) Membership certificate
3) The Triangle sorority magazine – subscription based upon paying annual alumnae dues of $45.00 beginning the year after initiation
4) Full payment to the Loyalty Fund – used for the financial stability of the Sorority and for chapter housing investments
5) The History Book of Sigma Sigma Sigma
6) Sigma songbook
Initiates must also purchase the official badge of the Sorority. All alumnae are expected to pay alumnae dues, $45 paid annually.
Alumnae are encouraged to remain actively engaged with Tri Sigma through a variety of opportunities, including Alumnae Chapter life, serving as a Chapter Advisory Board member or national volunteer, and/or participating in the programs and resources offered for alumnae members. Alumnae are expected to pay either annual national alumnae dues of $45 in the year after initiation or Lifetime Dues, as well as any local dues as determined by individual Alumnae Chapters. Alumnae support the Bylaws and National Policies of the Sorority and they should keep their contact information current with National Headquarters.
For further information regarding alumnae initiation, please contact Sigma Sigma Sigma National Headquarters at (540) 459-4212 or email@example.com.